Posts for: March, 2020
Don’t Panic! Coronoavirus 101
How the new coronavirus spreads:
- Person-to-person contact (within about 6 feet).
- Contact with infected objects or surfaces.
The best ways to prevent this and all viruses are:
- Avoid contact with people who are sick.
- Wash your hands often with soap and running water.
- If soap and water are not available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- Don’t touch your face, eyes, nose or mouth with unwashed hands.
Signs and symptoms:
- Shortness of breath
- Seek medical advice if you develop these symptoms AND have been in close contact with a person know to have the new coronavirus.
If you feel sick:
- Stay home from work or school
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when your cough or sneeze, then throw the tissue in the trash and wash/sanitize your hands.
- Clean or disinfect objects and surfaces you touch frequently.
- VACCINES against pneumonia do NOT provide protection against the new coronavirus. The virus is so new and different that it needs its own vaccine. Researchers are trying to develop a vaccine against 2019-nCoV.
- ANTIBIOTICS do NOT work against viruses, only bacteria. The new coronavirus (2019-nCoV) is a virus and, therefore, antibiotics should not be used as a means of prevention or treatment.
- SESAME OIL does NOT kill the new coronavirus. Bleach/chlorine-based disinfectants can kill the 2019-nCoV on surfaces.
- Eating GARLIC can NOT protect people from the new coronavirus
- To date, there is NO specific MEDICINE recommended to prevent or treat the new coronavirus.
- People of all ages can be infected by the new coronavirus (2019-nCoV). Older people, and people with pre-existing medical conditions (such as asthma, diabetes, heart disease) appear to be more vulnerable to becoming severely ill with the virus.
- CHINESE AMERICANS, or those of Asian descent, are NOT more likely to get the new coronavirus than any other American. A disease can make anyone sick, regardless of their race or ethnicity.
- People receiving a PACKAGE from China are NOT at risk of contracting the new coronavirus.
- At present, there is NO evidence that PETS can be infected with the new coronavirus.
- THERMAL SCANNERS ARE effective in detecting people who have developed a fever; however, they can NOT detect people who are infected but are not yet sick with a fever.
- ULTRAVIOLET (UV) LAMPS should NOT be used to sterilize hands or other areas of skin because UV radiation can cause skin irritation.
- HAND DRYERS are NOT effective in killing the new coronavirus.
- Spraying ALCOHOL or CHLORINE all over your body will NOT kill viruses that have already entered your body.
- There is NO evidence that regularly RINSING THE NOSE with saline has protected people from infection with the new coronavirus.
Stop the spread of rumors! Check the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) for the facts!